Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ich bin ein berliner

It’s about time to tell you about my wonderful short trip to Berlin!

I went to visit my friend Sarah who lives there now and 2 other friends of ours that I haven’t seen in about 8 years also joined us. It was so good to see the girls again!

It’s always great to visit a place guided by a person that lives there, isn’t it? Sarah took us to see all the “touristic stuff” like some pieces that are left from the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburg Gate, one of the most important symbols of the city.

And knowing me she also took me to eat the most traditional foods. I mean you can’t leave Germany without eating a Bratwurst, right?

Even if you have to eat one that’s about the size of your arm...

And then there were the Bretzls, the german pretzels. Of course I had to try them with salt and with cheese, and of course I preferred the ones with cheese.

What about the sweets?! I really liked the pastry scene there, and oh boy, German people love their cakes and cookies! And now I love them too!

In fact I loved them so much that I brought back some ingredients to bake some things here. One of the things I brought was a mix of spices to make a famous German cookie: the Spekulatius.

This is the recipe printed on the spice mix package, I gave it a go and it was quite good! I also brought the cute spoon cookie cutter from there.

SPEKULATIUS (from the spice mix package)

  • 250 gr butter (9 oz)
  • 250 gr sugar (9 oz)
  • 2 eggs
  • 500 gr flour (18 oz)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 10 gr Spekulatius spices* (o.6 oz)
  • 250 gr almonds (I dind't use them)

Mix the butter with the sugar, add the eggs. Mix the flour with the baking powder and spices and then add to the butter mixture. Mix just until well incorporated. Roll the dough, cut in the desired shapes and bake in a pre heated oven at 180ºC (350ºF) for about 8-10 minutes.

* You can make your own spice mix (that’s what I’ll have to do next time). The typical spices used in spekulatius are cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cardamom and white pepper.

Ok, I’ve spooned it all out for you. Now it’s time to go back to my holiday baking marathon.

24 comments:

Colloquial Cook said...

Speculoos spoons to eat warm rice pudding. Great concept. What, too filling? Pwaah! It's winter-time!

This said, Nice Sausage. And it's not usually something I say out loud.

VeggieGirl said...

FABULOUS!!! :)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for the virtual tour. I'm drooling over those food photos.

Your cookies are just too cute!

Liesl said...

I am getting ready to go to Germany for the holidays and I can't wait!! Love your pictures!!! I have to admit, I can't WAIT for a brautwurst!!! :)

morgana said...

Mmmmmmmm. yo quiero unas cuantas especulaciones de esas...

Madre del amor hermoso, sigo alucinando con el tamaño de esa salchicha. ¡¡ Es brutal !! Hay que ver cómo te lo pasas...

Un abrazo.
¡¡¡ Y felices fiestas !!!

thecookieshopinenglish said...

Ai que lindinho esse cortador de colher!!! E o tamannho daquela salsicha, pequena, hein? =)
bj
Paula

Dawn said...

now I want a bratwurst. and you know they have the good mustard over there, can't find that good stuff here.

Y said...

What a fantastic trip!

Selba said...

I miss Germany especially during Christmas time!

Hmmm.. I think I will try to make the spekulatius, got the spices in my cupboard :)

Alexa said...

I enjoyed your great pictures from your trip. Thanks for sharing the yummy food--the sausage is quite something but the cookies stole my heart. The spoon shape is so creative.

Cakebrain said...

That long bratwurst has me salivating! and for dessert, I'll take those spekulatius!

Barbara said...

Loved your Berlin tour! Yummy spoon cookies!

Emily said...

Your trip sounds like so much fun!

And wow, look at the size of that sausage.

CaSaundraLeigh said...

How fun! I can't wait to start traveling overseas, I think I will find a whole new appreciation for food :-)

lostpastremembered said...

Great photos and the cookies sound delicious. Thanks for the great post.

Mar said...

Te deseo con todo mi cariño unas Navidades maravillosas junto a tu familia y amigos y un año 2010 lleno de salud y amor. Que sepas que tienes una amiga en mi, y que puedes contar conmigo para lo que necesites siempre... Mucha felicidad para el resto de tu vida....
Un gran beso y apretado abrazo

Dolce said...

Awwww.... love speculoos (that's how it's written in BElgium). They are very hard to find here in the US!

Katrina said...

So fun to have trips like that!
And holy moly that brat!
It looks so funny with the little bun!
Merry Holidays to you, Rita!

Patricia said...

I love Berlin !! Thanks a lot for your recipe (sorry but I'm too busy to thanks earlier)

Happy Holidays
Best Regards,

Patricia

Eliana said...

Sounds like so much fun!

Aparna said...

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a very Happy New Year!

Lily said...

That´s nice to hear that you enjoyed your trip in Germany. I´m living in Germany too, and believe me it´s great to live here, but sometimes I´d rather to live in America *-*

Ingrid said...

How lucky you are to visit all these wonderful yummy places!
~ingrid

Beth said...

spoon cookies -- awesome!