Wednesday, May 27, 2009

DB's Apple Strudel... ice cream?

It's DB time: The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of Make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.

Apple Strudel

Great, I thought! I had never made a Strudel at home, so although we had the option to be creative with the filling I decided that I would keep it simple. I decided to do just the classic Apple Strudel. Yeah, right….

Apple Strudel Ice Cream

As far as the Strudel goes, yes I did keep it simple and classic. But I couldn’t help myself and also transformed into an ice cream. Oh yes, I’ve made Apple Strudel Ice Cream!

Ok, but let's start with the Strudel itself:

Strudel dough + toasted bread crumbs

APPLE STRUDEL

  • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) golden rum
  • 3 tablespoons (45 ml) raisins
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (80 g) sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick / 115 g) unsalted butter, melted, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) fresh bread crumbs
  • strudel dough (recipe below)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml, about 60 g) coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 2 pounds (900 g) tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼ inch-thick slices (use apples that hold their shape during baking)

Filling: apples, walnuts, cinnamon, sugar, rum and raisins

Mix the rum and raisins in a bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in another bowl. Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the breadcrumbs and cook whilst stirring until golden and toasted. This will take about 3 minutes. Let it cool completely. Put the rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking sheet with baking paper (parchment paper). Make the strudel dough as described below. Spread about 3 tablespoons of the remaining melted butter over the dough using your hands (a bristle brush could tear the dough, you could use a special feather pastry brush instead of your hands). Sprinkle the buttered dough with the bread crumbs. Spread the walnuts about 3 inches (8 cm) from the short edge of the dough in a 6-inch-(15cm)-wide strip. Mix the apples with the raisins (including the rum), and the cinnamon sugar. Spread the mixture over the walnuts. Fold the short end of the dough onto the filling. Lift the tablecloth at the short end of the dough so that the strudel rolls onto itself. Transfer the strudel to the prepared baking sheet by lifting it. Curve it into a horseshoe to fit. Tuck the ends under the strudel. Brush the top with the remaining melted butter. Bake the strudel for about 30 minutes or until it is deep golden brown. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Use a serrated knife and serve either warm or at room temperature. It is best on the day it is baked.

Tradition says the dough should so thin that you should be able to read a love letter thru it!

STRUDEL DOUGH

  • 1 1/3 cups (200 g) unbleached flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 7 tablespoons (105 ml) water, plus more if needed
  • 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil, plus additional for coating the dough
  • 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

Rolling the dough

Combine the flour and salt in a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix the water, oil and vinegar in a measuring cup. Add the water/oil mixture to the flour with the mixer on low speed. You will get a soft dough. Make sure it is not too dry, add a little more water if necessary. Take the dough out of the mixer. Change to the dough hook. Put the dough ball back in the mixer. Let the dough knead on medium until you get a soft dough ball with a somewhat rough surface.2. Take the dough out of the mixer and continue kneading by hand on an unfloured work surface. Knead for about 2 minutes. Pick up the dough and throw it down hard onto your working surface occasionally. Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it to a plate. Oil the top of the dough ball lightly. Cover the ball tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to stand for 30-90 minutes (longer is better).3. It would be best if you have a work area that you can walk around on all sides like a 36 inch (90 cm) round table or a work surface of 23 x 38 inches (60 x 100 cm). Cover your working area with table cloth, dust it with flour and rub it into the fabric. Put your dough ball in the middle and roll it out as much as you can. Pick the dough up by holding it by an edge. This way the weight of the dough and gravity can help stretching it as it hangs. Using the back of your hands to gently stretch and pull the dough. You can use your forearms to support it.4. The dough will become too large to hold. Put it on your work surface. Leave the thicker edge of the dough to hang over the edge of the table. Place your hands underneath the dough and stretch and pull the dough thinner using the backs of your hands. Stretch and pull the dough until it's about 2 feet (60 cm) wide and 3 feet (90 cm) long, it will be tissue-thin by this time. Cut away the thick dough around the edges with scissors. The dough is now ready to be filled.

Yummy!

Ok, now that the strudel is done it’s time to move on to the ice cream!

To transform the apple strudel into an ice cream I’ve used all the flavours that went into the filling. I started with a cinnamon ice cream base and then added caramelized apples, toasted walnuts and rum soaked raisins.

A sprinkling of baked crunchy strudel dough doesn’t hurt!

APPLE STRUDEL ICE CREAM

  • 250 ml cream
  • 250 ml milk
  • 60 gr (2 oz) glucose
  • 100 gr (3.5 oz) sugar
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 3 apples (sliced and caramelized in 1 tbsp butter and 1/8 tsp cinnamon & 2 tbsp sugar)
  • ¼ cup toasted walnuts
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 1 tbsp rum
  • Baked crunchy dough

Heat the cream, milk, glucose and cinnamon almost until boiling point. In a bowl mix well the yolks and sugar. Slowly add the milk mixture to the yolks, always mixing so the yolks would curdle. Transfer everything to the pan again and heat on low, always mixing, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon but don’t let it boil. Pass thru a sieve and cool completely (preferably in an ice bath). Churn only when it’s fully chilled. Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients: soak the raisins in the rum, toast the walnuts in the oven (10-12 minutes ate 170ºC/ 325ºF) and caramelize the apples with the cinnamon sugar and butter in a pan. Let all cool completely. Churn the cinnamon ice cream and when it’s almost ready to take out of the ice cream maker add the apples, nuts and raisins and let it all be well incorporated. Take to the freezer to fully harden for about 3 hours. You can serve it with crushed baked strudel dough.

Apple Strudel AND Apple Strudel Ice Cream

I can’t decide witch one I prefer… While I think about it I’m going to check all the other strudels that my fellow Baring Bakers did.

72 comments:

Maria said...

The strudel looks good but I really want some of that ice cream!

Tartelette said...

Super creativity again Rita! Always love what you do with the challenges! Big bravo!

Lisa said...

Oh, just heaven!

Valérie said...

Wow, strudel ice cream! How did you think of this?! I don't think I've ever even had plain old apple ice cream...

Jenn said...

I want some of that ice cream YUM

Lisa-Marie said...

My mouth actually just watered! This recipe is going on my 'to make on my next day off' list. Apple strudel is one of my very favourite things, and the ice cream looks awesome.

Also hi! I added you to my reader a few weeks ago, I love your blog!

Dawn said...

wow you always find the twin accessory for every dessert you make. like the shoes must match the handbag, the dessert must match the ice cream.
I love it!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

You did a great job on these! Yummmy

oneordinaryday said...

Really creative take on your challenge!

Pearl said...

ooh the apple strudel ice cream is so creative!

Sara said...

That ice cream sounds awesome! I totally want to make it. :) Is glucose just corn syrup??

Rose said...

Great job! Very creative :) I love homemade ice cream!!!!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] said...

Ice cream... What a great idea.
I love how you actually put a letter below the dough :P So cute

lisamichele said...

Strudel a la strudel a la mode is genius and it looks so delicious!! Also, love the photos, especially the one of the scoop of ice cream. Gorgeous strudel and dough too!

Jen Yu said...

Who wouldn't love apple strudel ice cream!? Great idea and it looks fab. Your little note to the DBs is sooooo cute. We heart you right back, love!

chou said...

Yummy yummy yummy. You make me smile with all of your adventures. I wish I lived on a shelf in your house . . .

Rachel said...

Chunky apples in the strudel..nice. Mine were chopped smaller. great job!

Ingrid said...

I love coming here! Everything you make is so ingenious and yummy looking and sounding! That ice cream sounds amazing! Great job!

Btw, LOL, loved the "love" letter photo!
~ingrid

Aparna said...

That;s a great idea to make a strudel ice-cream. I've had an apple pie ice-cream so this must be delish.
And that love letter... Love you too. :)

Isolated Foodie said...

Wow...that ice cream looks delicious!

LegalAlien said...

Great idea! There's a brand here in Italy that delivers strudel yogurt, it's very good, you might want to try that!

Louby Lou said...

Your strudel looks fantastic, but the ice-cream looks heavenly :)

Jenny said...

Apple strudel ice cream...what a fabulous idea, I have to copy that! Didn't expect anything less of you - creative and beautiful as always!

Madeleine said...

Hermoso el strudel, y el helado ha de estar celestial! que rico!!!

Muy buen reto Clumbsy!!

Y said...

I love your super thin dough! And I want apple strudel ice-cream! :D

Engineer Baker said...

That sounds amazing! And I love your love letter :)

Heather said...

are you kidding me?!?! these look amazing! i want the strudel and the ice cream. you're so talented!!!!!

Reeni♥ said...

You've outdone yourself! And I didn't think that was possible. This is just bliss, pure bliss!

Ruth said...

As usual your DB posts are always so creative. The strudel and ice cream makes my mouth water

Dragon said...

I'm always impressed by your creativity. Great job on this month's challenge!

Maggie said...

Your thin dough is so impressive! The ice cream sounds heavenly too.

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Great job! That is THIN!

Katrina said...

Yum to the strudel and holy yum to the ice cream! You've done it again! Sigh.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow that's a droolworthy strudel....

morgana said...

Qué barbaridad, realmente se podía leer através de la masa. :o :o

tiene una pinta buenísima, y más con el helado a juego, que vienen los calores.

Alisa@Foodista said...

I applaud your delicious creativity with this dish!Hope you wont mind,I'd love to guide our readers to your site, just add this foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

peasepudding said...

Fantastic idea turning it into ice cream! I have had apple crumble ice cream before so I can just imagine how delicious this taste..brilliant

Gurma said...

Great tradition and amasing strudel =)

sunita said...

Rita, you had such fun with the challenge...and that ice cream is to die for. Well done !

Adam said...

How in the world did you get the dough that thin? That's like Middle Ages paper thin. Celebrity crash diet thin. That's amazing!

Rita, apple of my eye... thank you for showing me apples for my stomach :)

jillian said...

When I tried my strudel I thought it would be great with ice cream. You are one step ahead! Great work!

Cakebrain said...

CC,
I absolutely love apple strudel and the ice cream is delectable looking! You are so creative! Looks yummy! I have that Kaffeehaus book too and have been to intimidated to make anything in there. btw, sorry...i accidentally clicked 'reject' instead of publish on your last comment on my blog :(

Zita said...

I love your love letter, love your strudel, but most of all I love your ice cream strudle...it just blew off my mind :)

Jill said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog! That ice cream looks amazing!! Your pictures are great!!

Claire said...

Wow...what a fun idea! Your strudel looks wonderful on it's own, but that ice cream is fantastic.

Jenny Tan said...

Mmmm..mmm...Apple strudel and ice cream...DELICIOUS! :)

Juliana said...

Your strudel looks terrific...with ice cream...yummie...love the pictures! By the way, thank you for visiting my site.

Sugar Chef said...

Apple Strudel Ice Cream!! - divine!! Wonderful post and pictures.

foodcreate said...

Tasteful! just like a strudel should taste like>

Thanks for sharing:)
and you can visit me if i can visit you:)

welcome!
foodcreate

Natashya said...

Fabulous strudel, but I need some of that ice cream! Wonderful!!

Lauren said...

Yum!! Your strudel looks amazing, and I love the ice cream =D

CookiePie said...

What a fabulous idea!!!

Elyse said...

Oh, Rita, everything looks amazing. First of all, your love letter is just hysterical. Yep, I'd say your dough was definitely rolled thin enough. Secondly, um, yum! The strudel and the ice cream both look divine, and I'm sure when their powers combine, well, it's magical!

gine said...

Mmmmm ... delicious as usual :-)! In fact that's the way I know strudel - with icecream :-)! XOXO

Ria said...

Rita,it's brilliant!Very very creative! :)

basicallybaked said...

The strudel looks so good. I've never made it for fear that my dough would be tough and disappointing.
The ice cream is inspirational! Nice job!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Oh wow. You made such a beautiful dough. I'm awestruck!

The ice cream looked pretty awesome too!

linda said...

That's just wonderful: apple strudel ice cream! Yum!

Gloria said...

My dear Rita look awesome really nice!! You are so creativity I love the Ice cream idea is amazing (we love ice cream any time)
Lovely,lovely, (Im visit all my friendsxoxooxo) Gloria

Leslie said...

Oh Rita..you are not clumbsy cookie..I am renaming you ONE SMART COOKIE!!!Or how about Creative Cookie!
I sat this month out..but your creations are wonderous

Jamie said...

This looks delicious!!! Well done!

awoz said...

A strudel ice cream, what an original idea and surely very tasty!!!

Tamy said...

oie, tbm adorei aquela máquina...
quanto ao seu post... nossa nunca imaginei que strudel fosse uma coisa tão deliciosa, aprendi a fazer no curso de chef que estou fazendo. Muito bom mesmo... e com sorvete deve ser melhor ainda!!!

beijos

Jaime said...

great job w/the strudel pastry but WOW i am so impressed w/your ice cream!!!!!

Sharon said...

One of my favorite flavors of ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery is the apple pie! What an amazing creation!

PheMom said...

Your pictures all look so lovely, but the ice cream is just genius!

natalia said...

Ciao ! What a great idea ! You always surprise me con la tua bravura e creatività ! Bravissima !

Memória said...

Vc é muito creativa!! Eu gostei dessa foto com a carta de amor :D. Eu gostaria de probar esse sorvete. Que legal!

Kevin said...

Great looking apple strudel! The ice cream sounds amazing! I like taking the flavours from one thing and transforming them into something different like this.

Vera said...

What an original idea, Rita!

Holly said...

Oh my goodness, your ice cream sounds amazing! Looks like I know what flavor my next batch will be!

Jeanine said...

Once again, you go above & beyond! Being GF, I never even attempted the strudel, it had me too intimidated. But you took it by the horns, and made it ice cream! Wow!