Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A banana bread that will swirl you around

Yes, I'm still here. And I’ve brought you Banana Bread!

Life has been swirling me around lately. A lot of work came my way but I don’t complain cause it’s all fun stuff. I swirl happy thru it!

So much swirling around that I ended up swirling some dulce de leche in my banana bread batter. And just for fun I also added toasted coconut and pecans. Yes, I’m crazy like that.

"SWIRL ME AROUND" BANANA BREAD
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 cup butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut*
  • 1/2 cup peacans
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tbsp cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 1/3 cup dulce de leche (or to taste)

*Toast your coconut in a pan, mixing all the time until is golden. Remove immediately from the pan as soon as it's ready.

Beat the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, mixing well. Then add the mashed bananas, cream and cream cheese and beat until incorporated. On the side mix the flour, baking soda, toasted coconut and pecans. Add these dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until it all comes together. Flour and butter a loaf pan dump 1/3 of the batter. Add dollops of 1/3 of the dulce de leche and swirls with a knife cutting thru the batter. Repeat with the rest of the batter and dulce de leche, making a swirl on top. Bake in a 180ºC (350ºF) preheated oven until it’s nice and golden and when you insert a toothpick (or knife) and it comes out clean.

This banana bread will swirl you around! And as for me all this swirling will stop at the end of the month, but until now I’ll leave you with a nice slice of bread! Enjoy!

Oops, I couldn’t help but bite it! But can you see that dulce de leche in the middle? It was really calling my name…

44 comments:

Pearl said...

*swirls*
*twirls*
*falls*
for your banana bread. :)

rekhas kitchen said...

ooohhh so soft and moist simply superb feel like eating that piece

linda said...

So you're still alive ;)
Love, love, love the idea of adding dulce de leche to your banana bread!

Leslie said...

I am a banana bread sucker and you just kicked it up a notch w/ the dulce de leche!

oneordinaryday said...

I am definitely trying this asap. I'm visiting my parents' this wknd. and I'm going to bake it to take along. Thanks for such a different take on an old favorite.

Steph said...

That looks so yummy! It's nice that the dulche de leche didn't melt and stayed as a swirl inside the bread.

Y said...

You've done it again! Another drool-worthy creation :)

Ivy said...

I love what you did and especially the toasted coconut part. I am so going to try it next time I make banana bread.:)

Ingrid said...

Love that swirl! Wish my swirling was that yummy. Mine just has me dizzy and confused.
~ingrid

Katrina said...

As I read this, I'm eating a piece of Chocolate chip, almonds, coconut banana bread that a made. Your caramel--whoa--kicks it up a whole 'nother notch!
I WILL try this, because as much as I LOVE ccc's, anything banana is right up there among my favorite.

Madeleine said...

Ha de estar pecaminosamente delicioso!!

Que ricoooo

Bob said...

Oh. Wow. I bet that was the best banana bread ever.

Maris said...

Now I can only think of that 80's sog that goes "you spin me right round baby right round." hehe!

Juliana said...

Great banana bread...with a swirl...such a nice idea...it looks really yummie. Love the pictures.

Reeni♥ said...

Can you please swirl a loaf or two my way? That is just divine!! I'm a sucker for dulce de leche.

Adam said...

You swirl me round like a record baby... sorry song stuck in my head... 80s style :)

Glad to see you're up to the usual hijinks :) Only your crazy sweet teeth would throw some dulce in there. You had me at Hel-leche :)

morgana said...

Vade retro, Satanás...

Por dios, no me pongas delante a estas horas una rebanada de mi dulce favorito de todos los tiempos. Y menos tuneado de esta forma, que me voy a deshidratar de tanto babeo... De verdad, desde la primera vez que lo comí hace chiquicientos años, el pan de plátano es uno de mis dulces favoritos, desde la masa cruda pasando por el olorcillo que sale del horno mientras lo haces hasta el resultado final. ¡¡¡ Me chifla !!!

Y si encima le pones estas mejoras, ya ni te cuento.

Eres mi ídolo. (k)

Rachel said...

the dulce de leche that you added to the bread makes me want to swirl :)

Katie said...

Yum this looks so good, and I just want to lick that dulce de leche off the spoon!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

I've swirled a lot of things into banana bread- peanut butter, chocolate, fruit...but I've never thought to do this- fabulous!

pigpigscorner said...

The dulce de leche looks amazing in that bread!

Lisa said...

Oh this is just banana bread heaven!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

That is one awesome banana bread. I've seen many delicious variations on banana bread on the blogs, but this is the first one I have seen with dulce de leche. You are so creative. Have I said that enough?

Cakebrain said...

I love that swirl of goodness you incorporated! yum!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I need to make this stat! Thanks for sharing =)

Elyse said...

Oh my! This swirled up bread looks fabulous. I love dulce de leche so much, and adding coconut and pecans only makes this bread that much better! Delish! Welcome back!! Here's hoping life gets a bit less swirly soon :)

Selba said...

Wow! Your banana bread looks amazing!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow simply superb....Looks soft and yum...

FFichiban said...

Yayy banannananana ^^! I love warm gooey banana bread toasted with butter! and this one looks ever so good with dulce de leche! mmmmmm

thecookieshop said...

Ai, que delícia... Banana com doce de leite é um favorito aqui em casa!!

Zita said...

You can't just shock me like this... coming out after a long time and swirl me around with banana, chocolate, and caramel :)

noble pig said...

Okay, that is seriously a fantastic idea. I can only imagine the taste!

Justin said...

wow, the dulce de leche streak is an amazing idea

Maria said...

Looks swirlicious!

Dawn said...

smart! caramel swirls with banana and nuts. you nailed it.

Jeena said...

Gorgeous banana bread I the texture yummy. :-)

chou said...

Dulce de leche? I'm sold. Swoon.

Emily said...

Oh baby! You're a genius! I love, love this.

Photographer Sydney said...

i never tried making banana bread but instead of banana cake.. :) and thanks for the recipe also

Misty said...

That looks fantastic. What a great idea!

Kevin said...

Banana bread with a swirl of dulce de leche is a great idea!

Jeanine said...

Oh wow! That swirling is AMAZING! Fantastic idea!

Marly said...

YUM! I LOVE banana bread and I'm always looking for new recipes so this is great. I'm trying to eat healthy, but those dulce de leche swirls look too good to leave out! This recipe also involves caramel and it looks great:http://tinyurl.com/n57438 maybe not as amazing as yours though :)

DessertObsessed said...

omg this looks too good! i am swirled away! must make immediately!!!